Although I booked an over-water bungalow, I was put in the only bungalow on stilts over land. At first I was disappointed, but once I realized the only two over-water bungalows were right beside the kitchen/shared dining area, and the shared bathroom, I was relieved.
Getting used to the shared bathroom was challenging:
- the toilet tank must be refilled by each guest, with water from a ground tap in the dining area - it takes 2 lg water bottles each time
- the bathroom sink has no running water (you have to use a bottle filled from the ground tap to brush your teeth etc)
- the shower only has hot water for 20 sec at a time, for 2 spurts - then we must ensure to let the hot water completely run out or if we turn the tap off too soon the entire faucet could "explode from pressure"
Host Gwenn is warm, funny, always happy to help - definitely pay for the dinners! He is an excellent cook & will offer you herbal teas picked fresh from the garden & homemade honey from his hives.
- by far the quietest place i visited in French Polynesia (no roosters, and the owner's dog is silent)
- walking distance to the most beautiful beach on earth
- walking distance to fruit stands & ice cream stand
- biking distance to town center & marae
- my "queen size bed" was actually two wins pushed together, and was quite uncomfortable
- only one very uncomfortable pillow
- no screens on the one window, open-air at the top of the ceiling so there are LOTS of insects/mosquito/spiders